Description:This five-day instructor-led course provides students who administer and maintain SQL Server databases with the knowledge and skills to administer a SQL server database infrastructure. Additional it will be of use to individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
Module 1: Authenticating and Authorizing UsersThis module covers SQL Server security models, logins, and users.
- Authenticating connections to SQL Server
- Authorizing logins to access databases
- Authorization across servers
- Partially contained databases
Lab: Authenticating UsersAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe server level security
- Describe database level security
- Describe multi-server authentication
- Describe partially contained databases
Module 2: Assigning Server and Database RolesThis module covers fixed server roles, user-defined server roles, fixed database roles, and user-defined database roles.
- Working with server roles
- Working with Fixed database roles
- Creating user-defined database roles
Lab: Assigning server and database rolesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe server roles
- Describe fixed database roles
- Describe user-defined database roles
Module 3: Authorizing Users to Access ResourcesThis module covers permissions and the assignment of permissions.
- Authorizing user access to objects
- Authorizing users to execute code
- Configuring permissions at the schema level
Lab: Authorizing users to access resourcesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe how to authorize user access to objects
- Describe how to authorize users to execute code
- Describe how to configure permissions at the schema level
Module 4: Protecting Data with Encryption and AuditingThis module covers SQL Server Audit.
- Options for auditing data access in SQL Server
- Implementing SQL Server audit
- Managing SQL Server audit
- Protecting data with encryption
Lab: Using Auditing and EncryptionAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe options for auditing data access.
- Implement SQL Server Audit.
- Manage SQL Server Audit.
- Describe how to use custom audit events.
- Implement encryption
Module 5: SQL Server Recovery ModelsThis module describes the concept of the transaction log and SQL Server recovery models. It also introduces the different backup strategies available with SQL Server.
- Backup strategies
- Understanding SQL Server transaction login
- Planning a SQL Server backup strategy
Lab: Understanding SQL Server recovery modelsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the various backup strategies.
- Describe how database transaction logs function.
- Plan a SQL Server backup strategy.
Module 6: Backup of SQL Server DatabasesThis module describes SQL Server Backup and the backup types
- Backing up databases and transaction logs
- Managing database backups
- Working with backup options
Lab: Backing up SQL Server databasesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Perform backups of SQL Server databases and transaction logs.
- Manage database backups.
- Describe the advanced backup options.
- Describe how to backup to the Azure Windows Blob Store.
Module 7: Restoring SQL Server DatabasesThis module describes the restoration of databases.
- Understanding the restore process
- Restoring databases
- Working with point-in-time recovery
- Restoring system databases and individual files
Lab: Restoring SQL Server User DatabasesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Explain the database restore process.
- Describe the concept of point in time recovery.
- Describe the advanced concepts of restoring.
Module 8: Automating SQL Server ManagementThis module describes how to use SQL Server Agent for automation. It also explains the benefits of using master and target servers to centralize the administration of automation.
- Automating SQL Server management
- Working with SQL Server agent
- Managing SQL Server agent jobs
- Multi-server management
Lab: Automating SQL Server ManagementAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe methods for automating SQL Server Management.
- Configure jobs, job step types, and schedules.
- Manage SQL Server Agent jobs.
- Configure master and target servers.
Module 9: Configuring Security for SQL Server AgentThis module describes the considerations for SQL Server Agent security, including proxy accounts and credentials.
- Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
- Configuring credentials
- Configuring proxy accounts
Lab: Configuring Security for SQL Server AgentAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the security context for SQL Server Agent jobs.
- Configure credentials.
- Configure proxy accounts.
Module 10: Monitoring SQL Server with Alerts and NotificationsThis module covers the configuration of database mail, alerts and notifications.
- Configuration of database mail
- Monitoring SQL Server errors
- Configuring operators, alerts, and notifications
- Alerts in Azure SQL database
Lab: Monitoring SQL Server with Alerts and NotificationsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Configure database mail.
- Monitor SQL Server errors.
- Configure operators, alerts and notifications.
Module 11: Introduction to Managing SQL Server by using PowerShellThis module introduces PowerShell for SQL Server.
- Configure SQL Server using PowerShell
- Administer SQL Server using PowerShell
- Maintain the SQL Server environment using PowerShell
- Managing Azure SQL Server databases using PowerShell
- Configure SQL Server using PowerShell
- Manage day-to-day SQL Server Administration with PowerShell
- Maintain the SQL Server environment using PowerShell.
- Capturing activity using SQL Server profiler
- Improving performance with the database engine tuning advisor
- Working with tracing options
- Distributed replay
- Monitoring locks
- Configure SQL Profiler traces and review captured traces.
- Use the Database Engine Tuning Advisor.
- Understand SQL Server advanced tracing concepts.
- Use Distributed Replay.
- Monitor Locking.
- Monitoring activity
- Capturing and managing performance data
- Analyzing collected performance data
- SQL Server utility
- Monitor activity within SQL Server
- Configure data collection.
- View reports from data collection.
- Configure a SQL Server Utility (UCP)
- SQL Server troubleshooting methodology
- Resolving service related issues
- Resolving login and connectivity issues
- Troubleshooting common issues
- Explain the SQL Server troubleshooting methodology.
- Resolve service-related issues.
- Resolve login and connectivity issues
- Transferring data to/from SQL Server
- Importing and exporting table data
- Using BCP and BULK INSERT to import data
- Deploying and upgrading data-tier applications
- Transfer data.
- Import and export table data.
- Use BCP and BULK INSERT to import data.
- Use DACs to import and export database applications
Lab: Administering SQL Server using PowerShellAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Module 12: Tracing Access to SQL ServerThis module describes how to use SQL Profiler and SQL Trace stored procedures to capture information about SQL Server. The module also describes how to use Distributed Replay to capture trace information from multiple servers, and how to monitor locking.
Lab: Tracing Access to SQL ServerAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Module 13: Monitoring SQL ServerThis module explains how to use Distributed Management Views to monitor SQL Server. It also describes configuration of data collection and the SQL Server Utility.
Lab: Monitoring SQL ServerAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Module 14: Troubleshooting SQL ServerThis module explains the SQL Server troubleshooting methodology and discusses the most common issues that can arise when working with SQL Server systems.
Lab: Troubleshooting Common IssuesAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Module 15: Importing and Exporting DataThis module covers the use of the import/export wizards and explains how they relate to SSIS. The module also introduces BCP and BULK INSERT.
Lab : Importing and Exporting DataAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
Need to request this course on a Different Day?
LANTEC is very responsive to local client needs and unique or custom class demands. If you require a delivery date option for a class title on our schedule, please submit your specific request for immediate consideration. We can often accommodate countless additional courses NOT available on our public schedules, please inquire for personal assistance.