DescriptionThis four day instructor led course provides students who manage and maintain SQL Server databases with the knowledge and skills to performance tune and optimize their databases.
Module 1: Server Architecture, Scheduling, and WaitsThis module covers high level architectural overview of SQL Server and its various components. It dives deep into SQL Server execution model, waits, and queues.
- SQL Server Components and SQL OS
- Windows Scheduling vs SQL Scheduling
- Waits and Queues
Lab: SQL Server Architecture, Scheduling, and WaitsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the SQL Server components and SQL OS
- Describe the differences between Windows Scheduling and SQL Scheduling
- Describe waits and queues
Module 2: SQL Server I/OThis module covers core I/O concepts, Storage Area Networks and performance testing. It focuses on SQL Server I/O operations and how to test storage performance.
- Core Concepts
- Storage Solutions
- I/O Setup and Testing
Lab: Testing Storage PerformanceAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the core concepts of SQL I/O
- Describe storage solutions
- Setup and test I/O
Module 3: Database StructuresThis module covers Database Structures, Data File and TempDB Internals. It focuses on architectural concepts and best practices related to data files for user databases and TempDB
- Database Structure Internals
- Data File Internals
- TempDB Internals
Lab: Database StructuresAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the internal setup of database structures
- Describe the internal setup of data files
- Describe the internal setup of TempDB
Module 4: SQL Server MemoryThis module covers Windows and SQL Server Memory internals. It focuses on architectural concepts and best practices related to SQL Server Memory Configuration
- Windows Memory
- SQL Server Memory
- In-Memory OLTP
Lab: SQL Server MemoryAfter completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the components of Windows memory
- Describe the components of SQL Server memory
- Describe In-Memory OLTP
Module 5: SQL Server ConcurrencyThis module covers Transactions and Locking Internals. It focuses on architectural concepts and best practices related to Concurrency, Transactions, Isolation Levels, and Locking
- Concurrency and Transactions
- Locking Internals
Lab: SQL Server ConcurrencyAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Explain concurrency and transactions
- Describe locking
Module 6: Statistics and Index InternalsThis module covers Statistics and Index Internals. It focuses on architectural concepts and best practices related to Statistics and Indexes.
- Statistics Internals and Cardinality Estimation
- Index Internals
- Columnstore Indexes
- Describe statistics internals
- Explain cardinality estimation
- Describe why you would use Columnstore indexes and be able to implement one
Module 7: Query Execution and Query Plan AnalysisThis module covers Query Execution and Query Plan Analysis. It focuses on architectural concepts of the Optimizer and how to identify and fix query plan issues.
- Query execution and optimizer internals
- Analyzing query plans
Lab: Query execution and query plan analysisAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe query execution and optimizer
- Analyze query plans and resolve common issues
Module 8: Plan Caching and RecompilationThis module covers Plan Caching and Recompilation. It focuses on architectural concepts, troubleshooting scenarios and best practices related to Plan Cache.
- Plan cache internals
- Troubleshooting plan cache issues
- Query store
Lab: Plan caching and recompilationAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe plan cache
- Troubleshoot plan cache issues
- Describe query store and why you would use it
Module 9: Extended EventsThis module covers Extended Events. It focuses on architectural concepts, troubleshooting strategy and usage scenarios for Extended Events.
- Extended event core concepts
- Implementing extended events
Lab: Extended EventsAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the core concepts of extended events
- Implement extended events
Module 10: Monitoring, Tracing, and BaseliningThis module covers tools and techniques to monitor, trace and baseline SQL Server performance data. It focuses on data collection strategy and techniques to analyze collected data.
- Monitoring and tracing
- Baselining and benchmarking
Lab: Monitoring, Tracing and BaseliningAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe various options for monitoring and tracing
- Describe various options for benchmarking and baselining
Need to request this course on a Different Day?
LANTEC is very responsive to local client needs and unique or custom class demands. If you require a delivery date option for a class title on our schedule, please submit your specific request for immediate consideration. We can often accommodate countless additional courses NOT available on our public schedules, please inquire for personal assistance.