Have you ever wondered why it seems so difficult to talk with some people and so easy to talk with others? Can you recall an occasion where you met someone for the first time and immediately liked that person? Something about the individual made you feel comfortable. A major goal of this workshop is to help participants understand the impact that their communication skills have on other people. They will also explore how improving these skills can make it easier for them to get along in the workplace, and in life.
This one-day workshop teaches participants to:
- Develop skills to ask questions that give you information you need
- Learn what your non-verbal messages are telling others
- Develop skills to listen actively and empathetically to others
- Deal with situations assertively
I. Course Overview
- Students will spend the first part discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
II. Communication Biases
- During this session, participants will identify their communication strengths and weaknesses through several reflective exercises.
III. Communication Styles
- Participants will take a more objective look at the advantages and disadvantages of both sides of different dichotomies related to communication styles.
IV. Body Language
- Participants will learn about body language and completed a group exercise to explore the concept further.
- How we see ourselves has an impact on how interact with others. Through lecture, case studies, and discussion, this session will investigate ways that participants can improve their self-image, and thereby deal with difficult situations assertively and positively.
VI. Listening Skills
- Participants will work on their listening skills by participating in two quizzes and several group exercises.
VII. Asking Questions
- This session will examine questioning skills, including open questions, closed questions, and probing.
VIII. Attitude is Everything!
- Participants will learn about sympathy, empathy, positive intent, frame of reference, reframing, focus, and being genuine.
IX. Techniques for the Workplace
- In this session, participants will learn about two key elements of an effective message: preparation and delivery.
X. Workshop Wrap-Up
- At the end of the day, participants will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.