In today’s fast-moving world, many managers and supervisors are expected to deal with some human resource issues. They may be asked to take part in developing job descriptions, take part in interviewing job candidates, or terminating employees. This workshop will introduce those managers to human resource concepts. We will walk you through the hiring process, from performing a skills inventory to discussing orientation; and cover some issues that arise after the hiring (such as attendance issues and compensation).
This one-day workshop teaches participants to:
- Identify current issues in the human resource field and the changing role of supervisors and managers in terms of HR functions.
- Write job specifications and identify core competencies.
- Apply methods of finding, selecting, and keeping the best people using behavioral description interviewing techniques.
- Get new employees off to a good start.
- Understand compensation and benefits.
- Apply technical for disciplining and terminating employees when necessary.
Lesson 1: Course Overview
- You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have
an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
Lesson 2: Defining Human Resources
- To begin the workshop, we will discuss just what “human resources” means. We will also complete a case study that highlights some of the challenges
that an HR professional faces.
Lesson 3: Performing a Skills Inventory
- During this session, we will look at what a skills inventory is and what its benefits are.
Lesson 4: Job Analysis
- A job analysis will ensure that the job description accurately reflects the tasks that the job entails. We will discuss what a job analysis is and
what formats can be used. Participants will also have the opportunity to complete a basic job analysis.
Lesson 5: Identifying Job Competencies
- This session will discuss how to identify technical and performance skills needed to do a job.
Lesson 6: Position Profiles and Job Descriptions
- During this session, we will explore what a job description is through a lecture and an exercise.
Lesson 7: The Real Cost of Employee Turnover
- Next, participants will calculate the cost of employee turnover and what factors may contribute to those figures.
Lesson 8: Employee Orientation and Onboarding
- A good orientation is key to an employee’s success. Participants will rate their company’s orientation. We will also discuss common problems and possible
Lesson 9: Planning Training
- During this session, we will look at the training cycle and the process for performing a training needs assessment. Participants will also explore
the advantages and disadvantages of internal and external training.
Lesson 10: Attendance Management
- Absenteeism costs companies more money every year. Through a lecture and a case study, we will look at common causes and solutions.
Lesson 11: Privacy Issues
- The privacy of personal information is becoming a bigger and bigger concern with the advent of technology. During this session, we will discuss
the 10 principles of personal information protection.
Lesson 12: Compensation and Benefits
- During this session, we will discuss the role of compensation and benefits in retaining employees. We will also review the pre-assignment.
Lesson 13: Managing Disciplinary Issues
- This session will look at a four step disciplinary system that can be applied to any situation.
Lesson 14: Terminating Employees
- Firing an employee can be hard to do. Through discussion and a case study, we will look at some things to consider and some ways to make the process
a bit easier.
Lesson 15: Exit Interviews
- Exit interviews can be a great tool to help your company grow. We will discuss types of exit interviews and participants will receive a sample
Workshop Wrap Up
- At the end of the workshop, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.