This instructor-led training manual provides a general overview of the HIPAA legislation; specifically the HIPAA Five Titles (Rules) with main focus on Title II.
Course content is an overview of HIPAA legislation only. Patients’ privacy and rights are critical; The penalties for non-compliance can be severe. For more details, please visit the HHS website and consult with your legal counsel with questions regarding the application of HIPAA in your workplace.
Additionally, this course only reviews HIPAA. There may be Louisiana State or other Federal laws that impact your business operations.
This course is not intended to serve as legal advice.
- Why HIPAA?
- Common Avoiders and Fears
- HIPAA's Five Titles (Rules)
- HIPAA Development
- HIPAA Timeline
- HIPAA Timeline Continued
- Title I
- Title II
- Subtitle F: Administrative Simplification
- Healthcare Information Systems
- Examples of Data Transactions
- Who is IIHI Shared with?
- Why Standardization?
- What about State Law?
- Impacted Businesses
- Other Covered Entities
- Impacted Workforce
- What Information is Protected?
- Levels of Health Information
- Terminology- NPP, Authorization, ePHI
- Terminology - Privacy and Security
- The HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Patients' Rights
- Exceptions to Right of Access
- Authorization Forms
- TPO Examples
- Other Exemption Examples
- Terminology-Use and Discloser
- Covered Entities' Rights and Responsibilities
- Notice of Privacy Practices (NPP)
- Minors/Personal Representatives
- Business Associates
- Non Business Associates
- Business Associate Agreements/Contracts
- Minimum Necessary Requirement
- Reasonable Effort
- Hippocrates Understood Privacy
- Disposal of PHI
- Penalties for Violating HIPAA
- Penalties for Violating HIPAA - Severity
- Breach Notification Rule
- Breach Notification Requirements
- Security Rule
- Privacy and Security Technology
- Risk Assessments
- $3.5 Million Mistake
- Regular Risk Assessments
- Record - Retention
- HIPAA Audits
- Other Investigations
- Enforcement-OCR and SAG
- Stay Compliant
Need to request this course on a Different Day?
LANTEC is very responsive to local client needs and unique or custom class demands. If you require a delivery date option for a class title on our schedule, please submit your specific request for immediate consideration. We can often accommodate countless additional courses NOT available on our public schedules, please inquire for personal assistance.